LIFE SKILLS Education
Bringing a rescue dog into your home or living with a dog that may not necessarily be behaving the way you think it should can sometimes be traumatic for everyone. Our intention is to make them feel welcome and safe but sometimes our behaviour can have the opposite effect leaving them feeling confused, stressed and fearful. Behavioural problems don’t just happen. Jenny has worked with many dogs over the years that have been raised as puppies in loving homes and still sadly over time have begun to exhibit frustrating and annoying behaviours that can drive us all to distraction. Canines are simple creatures and enjoy a simple life. Our lives, on the other hand, can become complicated leaving dogs vulnerable and in a position to make poor choices.
The Discover the Dog Within workshop is not designed to teach you how to “train” or “command” your dog. It was designed to assist anyone who wants to learn about the dog, its language and understand in easy terms why problems exist and how to avoid them. The topics covered will focus on the Physical, Mental and Emotional aspects as well as assist you to be more observant and understanding when it comes to your dogs’ behaviour.
Jenny will help you learn the signs, causes and effects of stress and how to cope. You will understand why we recommend a well fitting harness and what happens under the collar (Collars vs Harness) and why long leash walking is so important for you and the dog. You will learn the simple gestures and signals to communicate without having to bribe, yell or force your dog as well as nutrition, information on alternative medicine (worming, heartworm, Flea, and Tick) as well as enrichement, what that actually means and so much more.
Day 1: is a PowerPoint presentation with lots of interaction, discussion, and learning, (no dogs)
Day 2: is practical learning with that “light bulb” moment for you, when we get to observe your dog using its nose. You will learn to fit a harness correctly, use a long lead and find out what it really means to have a happy positive relationship with your dog.
Most of all - we will have fun and help make life better for dogs!
- How to encourage relaxed behaviour
- Why do dogs Pull? How do we solve it?
- How to use well-fitted equipment correctly
- Long loose leads & relaxed walking, how and why it matters
- The importance of creating an environment that encourages curiosity and confidence
- The joys and benefits of a dog’s nose. Introducing fun and stimulating activities
- Understanding why dogs bark, types of barking and how to avoid unnecessary noise
- Calming things down at mealtime - feeding, fussy eating and other food-related problems
- Leaving your dog home alone – stress-free
- Understanding and dealing with – Frustrated, Nervous & Reactive dogs
- The benefits of observation
- Exercise -what does it mean & how do we do it correctly?
- Is there a difference between Excitement & Stress?
- Ages and Stages of the Dog
- The joy of Rescue dogs - Bringing them home and solving problems
- Canine Nutrition with Jenny from the Complete Pet Company
- And so much more……………………….
2018 WORKSHOP DATES:
February: Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th
March: Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th
April: Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th
May: Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th
July: Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th
August: Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th
September: Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th
October: Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th
November: Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th
Tea, Coffee and Cold Drinks provided
Morning and Afternoon Tea provided
Saturday, Day 1: 9.30am - 5.00pm - Theory - Without Dog
Sunday, Day 2: 9.30am - 12.30pm - Practical - Dogs Welcome, conditions apply (Optional**)
Cost: $295.00 (No refund on cancellation available).
** Sunday, Day 2 is optional. If you would like to attend Day 2 with your Dog, this must be booked at the time you register for Day 1. There is a limit to the number of places available for each practical session so places are reserved on a first come first served basis.